Thursday, March 12, 2009

oops

ok so I had known max's squadron commander's wife and her family(2 young daughters under 6 years old, both gorgeous one has downs) for a while when this lovely situation happened: I went out with the squadron spouses for a spouse get together, and was talking with 3 girls and the sq. com. wife was next to me but talking with a different set of gals. so my girlfriends and I are kinda in this heated discussion about adultry and what "cheating" means and all that. I won't lie, margaritas were involved. anyway, I was saying retarded a lot. for some reason it was my word of the day and in our conversation I was retarded, he was, she was, the people were acting that way, whatever, I was saying it a lot. I finally realized that we were talking quite loudly. did I mention the margaritas? of course I had forgotten that the commanders wife was sitting next to me (she was afterall talking to the other end of the table. I was mortified so much after I realized what I was saying, I know she heard, she had to. but I thought "retarded is a word that everyone says and it's not meant personally to her or her family, I'm confident in our friendship enough to not bring it up" so I didn't really think about apologizing, especially on the off chance she didn't hear me; but since margaritas have a megaphone like effect on my voice, I know she did.

Today I got an email from her. it was a group email sent to the spouses regarding
www.r-word.org

wow, now I really feel retarded!

1 comment:

The Strongs said...

Bummer. I use that word all the time too. It is a nice reminder that some people still use the word retarded referring to mentally disabled people and that it can be offensive. I thought it was not politically correct to use the word, so if you use it another context it is just fine. Obviously, you were referring to everything besides a actual handicap. It is kind of too bad that we have to be so pc. I guess I am pretty retarded too. Hope you had a good week Bekkois.